THERESIA BUST TALERS
And How To
Attribute The Restrike
In numismatics, "restrike" refers to a coin that has been produced using the original dies. In the case of the Maria Theresia Talers (MTTs), it also refers to coins produced using the orginal design.
The 1780 Large Mature Bust (Dav.1151, KM23, S·F·/·X) has been authorized under Austrian law for use as restrikes since the death of Maria Theresia. The original design was struck at the Gunzburg Mint (then part of the Habsburg Empire, now southern Germany) in the last year of Maria Theresia's life. Since that time, this trade coin has been restruck millions of times by several different nations with minor design variations.
Modern (19th, 20th & 21st Century) Maria Theresia bust Talers have a number of design features which can be used to determine a coin's mint and strike date; the brooche, diadem and mint master's initials on the coin's obverse, and the center shield, cross type and number of tail feathers located directly below the large center shield on the reverse. The following table illustrates these major design features to aid collectors in attributing their modern talers.
|Hafner Number /
|It is important to note that many different Mints produced similar, but sometimes different variations, of the authorized bust restrike design for over 225 years. Currently, 155 varieties have been identified with more being found all of the time, but it is not feasible to list them all here. The following table presents some of the most common features of the early restrike designs.
- IC-FA - Rev: IC-FA located below the eagle's claws, "IC" on the left and "FA" on the right, (Vienna Mint).
- SF/·X· - Obv: S·F· located under the bust. Rev: ·X· located after the date as 1780·X·.
- FS - Obv: FS located under the bust (Venice Mint).
- ST-SF - Obv: ST-SF located under the bust, "ST" in smaller type over S·F· (Milan Mint).
- PS-IK - Rev: PS-IK located below the eagle's claws "PS" on the left and "IK" on the right.
- B-SK-PD - Obv: "B" located under bust. Rev: SK-PD located below the eagle's claws, "SK" on the left and "PD" on the right, (Kremnitz Mint, Hungary).
- AH-GS - Obv: smaller bust with a different broach and dress. Rev: AH-GS located below the eagle's claws, "AH" on the left and "GS" on the right,(Karlsburg Mint).
If you believe that you have an early restrike that isn't addressed above and you need more information to attribute your coin, then I recommend you use the Maria Theresia Taler Variants web site, which describes all of the varieties found to date. Presented are the design variations in brooch, shield, signature, cross and tail feather arrangements 1780 to the present. Just be prepared to view an intense amount of information.
- Dav.1109, KM1964, Vienna Mint, 1741-44, Rev: Crowned arms
- Dav.1110, KM1965, Vienna Mint, 1744-45, Rev: Griffon supporters
- Dav.1111, KM1966, Vienna Mint, 1746-52, Diademed young bust right
- Dav.1112, KM1967, Vienna Mint, 1753, More mature armored bust right
- Dav.1112, KM1967a, Vienna Mint, 1754-65, More mature armored bust right
- Dav.1113, KM1968, Vienna Mint, 1758, 1765, (Young) armored bust right
- Dav.1114, KM1969, Vienna Mint, Veiled bust right
- Dav.1115, KM1970, Vienna Mint, 1767-72, Veiled head right
- Dav.1116, KM1971.1, Vienna Mint, 1772-79, Smaller veiled head right
- Dav.1117, KM1971.2, Vienna Mint, 1780, Obv larger bust, Rev IC-FA located below Eagles claws.
- KM1972, Ordens Mint, 1769 IC-SK, Veiled head right w/jeweled bust
- Dav.1118, KM545, Graz Mint, 1765, Draped bust
- Dav.1119, KM546, Graz Mint, 1765, Armored bust
- Dav.1120, KM743, Hall Mint, 1746-65, Bust right in decorated gown
- Dav.1121, KM744, Hall Mint, 1751-53 Bust right w/ plain gown
- Dav.1121, KM745, Hall Mint, 1754-65, Bust right w/ plain gown
- Dav.1122, KM746, Hall Mint, 1751-65, Mature armored bust right
- Dav.1123, KM747, Hall Mint, 1765-72, Veiled bust right
- Dav.1124, KM748, Hall Mint, 1772-76, Obv. smaller veil on bust, Rev. initials
- Dav.1125, KM328.1, Hungary, 1741, Obv. leg: MA.THERESIA-D:G:REG:HUNG:BOH
- Dav.1125A, KM328.2, Hungary, 1741-42, Obv. leg. ends:.. HUNG:BO
- Dav.1125B, KM328.3, Hungary, 1741-42, Obv. leg: MA. Theresia.., ends:.. HUN:BO
- Dav.1126, KM328.4, Hungary, 1743-44, Obv. leg: MA. Theresia.., ends:.. HUN:BO
- Dav.1127, KM333, Kremnitz Mint, Hungary, 1743-44 O, Obv: modified hair style, leg ends: ...HO:BO, Rev: mint marks KM, large K left of rays at 09:00, large M right of rays at 03:00
- Dav.1128, KM337.1, Kremnitz Mint, Hungary, 1744-45, Obv: smaller bust, Rev: mint marks KM, large K left of rays at 09:00, large M right of rays at 03:00
- Dav.1129, KM337.2, Kremnitz Mint, Hungary, 1746-48, Obv. leg: M.THER...
- Dav.1130, KM349.1, Kremnitz Mint, Hungary, 1749-52, Rev: larger shield below Madonna, mintmarks KM, small K left of rays at 07:00, small M right of rays at 05:00
- Dav.1131, KM349.2, Hungary, 1751·X·, Rev: larger shield below Madonna
- Dav...., KM349.3, Hungary, 1752·X·, modified drapery
- Dav.1132, KM358.1, Hungary, 1751-65·X·
- Dav.1135, KM358.2, Hungary, 1763, (reported, not confirmed) Mint mark NB
- Dav....., KM358.3, Hungary, 1766, Mint mark K
- Dav....., KM378, Hungary, 1763-64·X·, Decorative gown, Mint mark KB
- Dav.1136, KM1539, Prague Mint, 1746-50, Bust right
- Dav.1136A, KM1540, Prague Mint, 1751-60, Bust right, Rev. X after date
- Dav.1137, KM1541, Prague Mint, 1758-59, Mature bust right, Rev. Crowned Imperial Eagle w/crowned arms of St. Joachim and Bohemia on breast, and crossed battle axes below eagle.
- Dav.1138, KM1542, Prague Mint, 1767-72, Veiled head right
- Dav.1139, KM1543, Prague Mint, 1773-75, Head right w/ smaller veil
- Dav.1140, KM1544, Prague Mint, 1780, Large head veiled right
- Dav.1147, KM15, Burgau Mint, 1764-65, Armored bust right
- Dav.1149, KM21, Burgau Mint, 1765-72, Veiled bust right
- Dav.1150, KM22, Burgau Mint, 1773-80, Bust w/ smaller veil, Rev. leg: ARCHID·AUSTDUX·
- Dav.1151, KM23, Burgau Mint, 1780 SF/X/, Large mature bust, Rev. leg: ARCHID·AVST·DUX·
|View Eight Toned Restrikes by selecting the coin at the right.
- Der Maria Theresia Taler 1780 by Dr. Fanz Leypold
of the MARIA THERESIEN TALER", by Walter Hafner
- The 1780
Restrike Talers of Maria Theresia, M.R. Broome, as presented in the
1972 Numismatic Chronicle, Seventh Series, Volume XII, by the Royal
Marie Terezie, 1740-1780, by Vlastislav Novotny, Hodonin 2001
- The Standard
Catalog of World Coins, 18th Century 1701-1800, Second Edition, Krause
- Corpus Nummorum Regni Mariae Theresia, Tassilo Eypeltauer 1973
- The Comprehensive
US Silver Dollar Encyclopedia, John W. Highfill 1992
Austrian Mint's Restrike brochure with coin
Coin Club Newsletter
and the Maria Theresia Taler, by Viju James
- Catalogo Alfa delle Monete Italiane e Regioni, Alfa Edizioni, Torino
Translation assistance - Martin Purdy, Translation from W. European Languages
TOP OF PAGE
Copyright © 2010
All Rights Reserved
have any comments concerning this article, please contact the